It is truly amazing that the Bible has had so much influence on our day to day conversations. There are at least 75 commonly used phrases that have their origins in the Bible. Be sure to look up the passages below, just a sample of these sayings, in your Bible. In some of them there are powerful lessons for us all.
- Scapegoat – Leviticus 16:8, Leviticus 10:16
- The skin of my teeth – Job 19:20
- Wits end – Psalm 107:27
- A drop in a bucket – Isaiah 40:15
- The salt of the earth – Matthew 5:13
- A thorn in the flesh – 2 Corinthians 12:7
- Signs of the times – Matthew 16:3
- Busybodies – 2 Thessalonians 3:11, 1 Timothy 5:13
- Eat, drink and be merry – Luke 12:9
- The root of the matter – Job 19:28
- Labour of love 1 Thessalonians 1:3, Hebrews 6:10
All these quotations can be found in the King James Version of the Bible.
Did you know that in 1947 a collection of the oldest manuscripts of the books of the Bible were discovered in a cave in Wadi Qumran, near the Dead Sea? Among them was a 23ft leather scroll containing the complete book of the prophet Isaiah. This copy is a unique proof of the reliability of the Holy Scriptures. The text agrees exactly with what we have in our Bible today. Many more books of the Bible were discovered in 11 caves nearby. A special museum, The Shrine of The Book, was opened in Jerusalem to house many of the scrolls.
Let us not neglect the Bible for its pages contain a message from God, a message of hope and salvation for all who read His word, believe it and try to follow the example of His Son the Lord Jesus Christ.